Language barrier and culture barrier..

Well, the chilly wind and low temperature have come, please keep your body warm when you plan to visit here...

I got inspired to write this post from my dearest friend (call her Mrs xxxx, kkkk). She wrote about her pending success to get a scholarship (she will get soon, I believed). Then, when you are in the same situation, you may try to study more and to focus solely to get your dream university acceptance letter and the funding as well. Hmmm, I was like that, I got used to taking many English tests as many as I could to improve my score. If you are afraid of taking the expensive test, well what I did was paid for the expensive test plus the airfare ticket several times. Anyway, not everyone has the very good fortune to pass the test without paying some prices. And then, after you try very hard, ding ding dong... you get it!!! (congratulation....this is the start of your foreign student life...)

Now, the question...Is it enough? absolutely not...Do you believe 100% on your dream campus promotion brochure? please don't... There will be more than 100 problems waiting for you...what are they?
1. The language barrier, English is international language so I have no problem going anywhere coz my IBT test is 100+: hmmmmm, I doubt it (mine never reaches 100...). There is a proverb 'When in   Rome, do as the Romans do' which is very true. Especially, when your destination is not an English speaking country...you will not hurt yourselves to start learning the language (it will also make your CV looks good).
2. Culture shock? This problem may lead you to go back to your home country. To be honest, after living here for a couple years, learn the language (well I pretty bad in linguistic so my progress is quite slow), try to get along well with local people...I still feel that somehow I am still get alienated. Some people may start to think negatively toward the locals which make life very uncomfortable. How can you concentrate on your research then?

There are many more such as the working time, the climate, the currency and the school system....in short...you need to conduct better research and better preparation coz your effort not yet finished until you get your graduation certificate....Wish you and I will be survive till our graduation time (fingers crossed, please).

Comments